28 Sep Gutter maintenance before the cold season
Gutter cleaning should be done at least twice a year, in the spring and in the fall.
The Société d’habitation du Québec recommends proceeding as follows:
- Start cleaning your gutters at the bottom, near the drain, carefully removing all debris. Wash with plenty of water, ideally with a pressure washer.
- Next, install a ladder in a safe manner, avoiding leaning on the gutter. Remove all obstructions: leaves, pine needles, seeds, nuts, insects and sometimes even bird’s nests, which prevent the proper circulation and evacuation of rainwater. The use of a gutter shovel or garden trowel may be necessary.
- Temporarily block the end of the downspout and fill the gutter with water, this will help locate leaks along the horizontal gutter. Once identified you can proceed with the repair.
- Then unblock the end and let the water drain freely. Use a rag to remove dried mud or any debris that could block or slow drainage.
- If the drain rate is still slow, check the level of the downspout incline and adjust as needed. This should be about 3 millimeters per meter.
Jackie Beaudoin, Leclerc Insurance and Financial Services
Source : Société d’habitation du Québec