Logo Facebook Leclerc Assurances

1 800 567-0927

Contact us

The carbon monoxide detector, a lifesaver

The carbon monoxide detector, a lifesaver

The carbon monoxide detector, a lifesaver

We often hear of cases of deadly carbon monoxide.  Without a way to detect it, carbon monoxide – which is an odorless, colorless gas – will go unnoticed until it’s too late. Not something to be taken lightly.

We will first explore the sources of carbon monoxide in your home?

  • Non-electric heating devices (oil furnaces, wood-burning fireplaces, gas boilers, etc.
  • Vehicles with combustion engines (cars, snowmobiles, mowers) and other household appliances running on natural gas or propane (stoves, refrigerators, water heaters, BBQs).
  • Another major source of poisoning is gasoline engine exhaust from an adjacent garage. The door leading from the garage to the house must be fitted with weatherstripping and a hinge with a spring that automatically closes the door. No mechanical ventilation system, air exchanger or heating should create a link between the garage and the house.

It is suggested that the detector(s) be installed in the same locations as the smoke alarms. Combined devices are also available (smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector)

Once the detector is in place, periodically check that it is working properly and replace the batteries in the fall and in the spring when we set our clocks.

Above all, if the device’s alarm goes off, do not try to find the source of CO or trivialize the situation. Evacuate the premises as quickly as possible and contact the fire department.  Opt for your safety first!

Jackie Beaudoin, Leclerc Insurance and Financial Services
Source :  Legault Dubois