19 May Cooking over campfire
You may not have thought of cooking these meals over a campfire, but your kids will love these three super easy, campfire cooking recipes!
Mac & cheese
Tip: Before going camping, cut up the vegetables and bacon, grate the cheese and precook the macaroni.
- Cut 4 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons of minced onions
- Cut 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked macaroni
- Salt and pepper
Light the campfire and place a campfire grate on top.
Use a cast iron saucepan and add the bacon cooking until crisp.
Add the onions and jalapeno peppers and cook for about a minute.
Place the saucepan on the side of the grill to reduce the heat and add the milk and cheese and mix until melted.
Add macaroni and mix to desired heat.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Make the creamy garlic sauce before you go
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% cream
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper flakes
Melt the butter with the olive oil, then add the garlic and mix.
Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add cream and milk.
Bring to a boil and add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
When it thickens, remove from heat.
- 1 bag of tortillas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) creamy garlic sauce (previously cooked)
- 1/4 cup (65 mL) chopped onions
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pepperoni cut in 4
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced black olives
- Cut 1/2 bell pepper
- Sliced green onions
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated mozzarella or Monterey Jack (or a mixture of the two)
Take a cast iron pan and add the tortilla chips.
Add sauce to the tortillass.
Garnish with the remaining ingredients.
Put on the heat and cover with aluminum foil. Wait until the cheese is melted and the vegetables are tender (about 5 to 8 minutes).
Marshmallow and chocolate cone
- 12 waffle cones
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate chips
Just fill each cone with the marshmallows and chocolate chips to taste.
Next, wrap the cones in heavy duty aluminum foil.
Place on the coals for 3 to 5 minutes. CAUTION: Do not put directly on the flames.
You can also cook in a pan or on the BBQ.
Have a great summer! Treat yourself!